Archive for May, 2010

Toolbags and PlayaBelts

Posted: May 30, 2010 in Uncategorized

Several people have asked if we make tool belts. Here is a prototype that is 100% fire hose.
I want to make PlayaBelts for Burners – what should they be designed to carry?


Next project – bike seat toolbags


Toolbags and PlayaBelts

Posted: May 30, 2010 in Uncategorized

Several people have asked if we make tool belts. Here is a prototype that is 100% fire hose.
I want to make PlayaBelts for Burners – what should they be designed to carry?

Next project – bike seat toolbags


Posted: May 28, 2010 in Uncategorized

Today was a fine day to be in the woods.

I needed to go up to Chester to talk to a friend about some fire and forestry issues, and he was able to meet me half way, on Deer Creek.  He needed to clear fallen trees from the roads after windstorms this winter, so I rode along, and we headed up to the Deer Creek rim.

Opening the road after winter storms, still a lot of snow up there.

Bear print


Checking out the area burned by the ‘Onion Fire’, in 2008, we found a place where a hoselay got burned over by the fire.  The firefighters forgot about the hose, and left long partially-melted chunks of it in the woods.  We dragged about 400 feet of it back to the truck.

Here is the same hose scrubbed, filleted, and sewn into a panel 

Cut the panel into smaller strips, add some trim and hardware, and you have the makings of a tough little field bag.


The one panel made enough pieces for 6 bags.  Straps are also fire hose.

Inner tube trim

From Deer Creek to you.


Posted: May 13, 2010 in Uncategorized
Tags: ,
I have been wanting to start making luggage for awhile now – finally felt like I was ready to take on a larger bag.  During a trip to Portland two weeks ago I went into Oregon Outdoors, and ogled all of their gorgeous Filson bags, thought “we can do that”.  I found a basic duffel bag at a thrift store a few days ago, and thought that it would be a good shape to copy.  I took it apart, made a pattern, and then put it back together, piecing over the existing panels with fire hose.

Here is the finished product, I am stoked on it!   

Getting the ends sewn in was a chore – I started off using heavier rubberized hose like I have been using for the messenger bag sides, but with overlapping layers of hose on the sides and 4 layers of trim, the machine was trying to push 5/8″, and choking, breaking needles, looping like crazy on the bottom of the fabric.  I was up late Googling ‘consew 206rb looping’, cleaning the machine (filthy), no dice.  Once in bed, I realized that I just needed to use thinner material on the ends.



The hardest part was getting the top piece to fit properly, and figuring out the order to sew it in.  Ideally the top and ends start as one piece that you sew into the sides, but I decided to sew the bag with seams out, and wasn’t sure I trusted the pattern to work out perfectly.  I had to do some funky spelunking inside the dark almost-finished bag to do the seam between the ends and sides to finish it.  Top is from army surplus German duffel bag, with a new brass zipper from Oregon Leather (another multi-hour destination when we are in Portland).  Straps are nylon fire hose salvaged by Dan Borge at the Cal Lodge when they upgraded their fire protection system, and two other kinds of hose. 


This is one of the first projects that we have used dyed hose on.  The blue is linen fire hose from the Cal Lodge that we dyed during an easter egg hunt party after all of the kids were done making tie-dyes.  



 Swivel clip from the ReStore – they had a couple bags of brand new solid bronze hardware there last year, thanks boys!  Adjuster buckle and D-ring from thrift store belts.

Luggage!  I am hooked.  How can we do rolly-bags?



Strap detail.

Still on a push here to make some new bags by the end of the week – my goal is at least one large bag a day.  A lot of the bags I have been making have been tight, clean, going for a pro look.  Tedious shit!
Here is one that doesn’t give a f&^k!  Fun makin’s.
Pretty much the standard fire hose bike purse, but untrimmed, and textured-up with some loose-woven hose that was the outer jacket of a two-layer hose.  As such, it is not lined with rubber, and frays like crazy!  We threw some in the washer, kind of like washing a patch cut from a burlap sack, if you’ve ever done that…


Beefed up/backed the sides with heavy canvas so the seams will hold while the front piece frays.


Concho bling from Guadalajara Mex. 

Body is fire hose, seams between strips are from chicken feed sack.  Only new material on this bag is the concho, thread, rivets, and the webbing for the (new) buckle.
This bag was fun.  My model has gone to bed…


Sewing like crazy for Indie Night – Friday at Three Sixty Ecotique.  Sewed 11 hours yesterday – here are some new bags.
Bird’s Delight, 


(Birdseed Sack over Fire Hose),



Chickie Belt Bike Purse, 




Diaper Bag in progress, 

Fish net, 



Bike Purse detail,  

Wavy Bike Purse,



Simple Fire Hose Clutch, 

Fancy Fire Hose Clutch, 



Wild Fishnet Bag, with original mending by real hillbilly net fishermen, 

Fishnet and Bling – large bag,


Fishnet and Bling.